All the brave people who keep us safe in our homes and our cars

A big shout out and "thank you" to the good people at the Waterloo Fire Department who responded promptly to my call last night after the carbon monoxide detector went off. I was concerned because I told my wife that I was feeling inexplicably dizzy and nauseous, then the alarm went off less than a minute later. I thought it might be a coincidence, so I reset it and it came back on after a few minutes. So we left the house and called in the cavalry.

They showed up in their big red truck -- without sirens blaring, fortunately; we live on a quiet street and the last thing I need is a million questions from our neighbours. They went through the house with their own carbon monoxide detector, but found none at all. Even though we are not using the furnace because it is summer, we still have a gas stove and a gas water heater. We concluded that it was a false alarm, and felt bad for wasting their time, but it was still nice to feel secure.

It takes a special kind of person to risk their own life for the sake of others. Thankfully, there was no real threat in our home last night, but I'm sure they would still have rushed in and saved us if the house were on fire. I noticed that my son Ryan liked the truck, and was playing with his own toy version last night after they left. Maybe one day, he will be in a situation to help others too.

--

Then this morning, as I was driving to work, a very helpful police officer pulled me over and fined me $110 for not having a front licence plate on my car, as required in Ontario. I am so grateful that someone was looking out for me, ready to rescue me from the twin perils of improved aerodynamics and a nice look to the front of my car.

Comments

Popular posts